Stripe supports various credit cards and two types of direct debit payments:
- Automated Clearing House (ACH) - The ACH is a type of electronic funds transfer network used in the United States. ACH provides inter-bank clearing of credit and debit transactions. The ACH electronic network helps banks and financial institutions exchange information in between.
- Single Euro Payment Area (SEPA) - This unique euro payment area establishes an integrated European market for payment instruments. The aim of SEPA is to ensure that payments within Europe take place as simply and effectively as those within a single country.
To be able to accept ACH payments using Omnibasis,
You must be a US based merchant selling to customers in the US;
You must have an Stripe account configured in Omnibasis.
- Configure your Stripe account with Omnibasis.
- Enable ACH Payments as an option for E-Commerce:
- Navigate to 'omniCommerce \ Settings'.
- Select 'Enable bank account as a payment method'.
Customer Bank Account Information
When customers choose to pay via ACH, they will have to provide their bank account information.
The following information is captured as part of an ACH transaction:
- Customer's Name as per Account
- Name of the Bank
- Type of Account
- Bank Account Number
- The Bank's nine digit Routing Number
After customers accept the authorization agreement a bank account is added. Stripe will deposit two micro deposits to verify customer banks account.
Note: Verification using micro deposits is a free service and the whole verification process will take about 2-3 business days.
Verifying Bank Information
Once the bank details are collected, it has to be verified. For verification, Stripe will deposit 2 small amounts into the customer's bank account. Your customers will have to validate the amount transferred.
Until the amounts are verified, the account status will be 'Need Verification'.
User can navigate to 'My Wallet \ My Ledger Accounts' or to 'My Orders \ Payment Methods'.
Selecting dropdown option next the account and clicking 'Verify bank account'.
Message advising customer about account verification with amounts of deposits will be displayed:
"You account need verification. Please allow 1 to 2 business days to appear on your online statement. The statement description for these deposits will be AMTS: and then the values of the two microdeposits that were sent. Please return to your account and confirm those deposits to activate your account."
Clicking 'Verify' button will verify the amounts against Stripe records.
After customers confirm their payment with a Bank Card, the order information is sent to Stripe.
When the transaction is accepted, the payment is marked as pending.
After the funds are transferred from the customer's bank account and the payment is received, the transaction is marked as Completed.
If the payment fails, due to some errors such as insufficient funds, the transaction is marked as Declined and payment must be retried or collected using an alternate method.
ACH payments take up to 5 business days to receive acknowledgment of their success or failure:
- When created, ACH charges will have the initial status of
- A pending balance transaction will immediately be created reflecting the payment amount, less our fee.
- Payments created after 21:00 UTC are currently processed on the next business day.
- During the following 4 business days, the payment will either transition to
faileddepending on the customer’s bank.
- Successful ACH payments will be reflected in your Stripe available balance after 7 business days, at which point the funds are available for automatic or manual transfer to your bank account.
- Failed ACH payments will reverse the pending balance transaction created.
- Your customer will see the payment reflected on their bank statement 1-2 days after creating the charge. (Your customer will know the payment succeeded before the bank notifies Stripe.)
Failures can happen for a number of reasons such as: insufficient funds, a bad account number, or the customer disabled debits from their bank account.
With credit card payments the authorization and transfer of funds happens immediately.
With ACH payments, the authorization and transfer process has a waiting period up to 5 business days.
Testing Strip ACH
Follow Stripe guide on testing ACH transactions.
You can mimic successful and failed ACH charges using the following bank routing and account numbers:
- Routing number:
- Account number:
000111111116(failure upon use)
000333333335(debit not authorized)
To mimic successful and failed bank account verifications, use these meaningful amounts:
[any other number combinations](failure)